Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Something to chew on...

Before I leave, I want to make sure you are well fed and have some food to digest. Below are photos from our Mother's Day spread.

I made a shaved fennel and arugula salad with shaved Romano and a bit of avocado. On it I sprinkled a light dressing consisting of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, a tiny bit of Dijon and a splash of truffle oil along with salt and pepper to taste. It was a nice light and crunchy salad. It would have been better with Parmesan but I had a wedge of Romano in the fridge. My Romano was a bit stinkier than I would have liked.

Joy made seven layer dip. Always a great choice! It was demolished by the end of the day.

Jacqueline made a lovely orzo salad with feta, basil, red onion, pine nuts, olives and a light lemon/olive oil dressing. It was really good and flavorful.

Natalie brought cold cuts of turkey, roast beef, maple ham, fresh bologna, cheeses and rolls. The meat comes from Mattern Sausage and Meats in Orange. This place is owned by some German people and has excellent meat, cheese and other European foods that are hard to find. The sandwiches are amazing! My favorite is the pastrami on fresh dense brown bread that cannot be found at a regular market. If you are in the area, do stop in. But be prepared for a small cramped deli space and a long wait for help! It is popular.

My hope is that tomorrow I will have time to post about my great grandmothers famous sour cream cookies! If not, I will do it when I return from the show!

16 comments:

Jared said...

Looks like a nice spread. The 7 layer dip looks great. I really got to start making my own dips instead of bailing out and just buying stuff at the store.

Abby said...

What an awesome spread! Everybody loves 7-layer dip, don't they? Always a hit.

Emily said...

Good luck in NY! We will surely miss you and be eagerly awaiting your return. Not only to read what you have cooked but to hear about you trip as well. Bon Voyage!

AMI said...

i have never heard of a 7 layer dip! RECIPE PLEASE!!! sounds amazing! Thanks for tagging me - i haven't tried any other blog recipes yet - i will soon though and its your onion puffs - i've been dying to make them but never remembered to keep stale bread - my garden birds would be a lot thinner if i had! oh and mothers day here is exactly 3 weeks before easter so its a different day every year! its called mothering sunday.

AMI said...

and GOOD LUCK TOO!!!

RecipeGirl said...

What a wonderful, delicious spread! It looks loads better than what my MIL (who doesn't cook) served up. I always try to help and she shoos me away :(

Best of luck in NY!

Nicole said...

Jared- Thanks! Dips are so easy, you should make your own.

Abby- Welcome! 7-layer dip is so old school but it is alway devoured right away.

Emily- I am sure I will have some stories to share and maybe some good food photos too!

Lisa- Thanks!!! Never heard of 7 layer dip? Now that IS funny. So many differences... It is an easy Mexican dip. Really it can be anything but we usually put a layer of refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes and/or salsa, lettuce and/or cilantro, olives and/or chilis, and top it with cheese! You can put seasoned ground beef in too. Any Mexican layer you like. Eat with tortilla chips!

Oh and you don't have to have stale bread to make the olive puffs. The recipe doesn't call for it, I just did it that way.

Lori- Thank you so much! I need it! That is funny about your MIL. That is one good thing about having my inlaws back east!

That Girl said...

That salad is one of the most beautiful things I've seen all day.

Robin said...

Nicole
wa wa wa wa wait! You had to cook on Mother's Day along with all those other women you mentioned? Ha the men don't cook in my family too- well one does. We did take- out and let me tell you, your food looked better! Have fun in NY and I hope you sell lots and lots and knock them all dead with your pretty designs.

taste memory said...

that was so gracious of you to cook on mom's day!

I totally forgot about 7 layer dip - YUM and who cannot LUV arugula - it looks like your gathering was a hit!

safe + fun travels to nyc!

Nicole said...

Kate- Thanks!

Robin- The 3 others are my sisters. My mom made cookies too. If we left food to the guys, we would starve. They are clueless. Except my youngest sister's husband might be likely to take her out and spoil her. He did make her breakfast in bed the first year. But we have such a big family it is hard to go to a restaurant. 10 kids (cousins) in a get together.

Taste Memory- Thanks! It is not gracious but necessary for us to cook. Good think we all like to cook! Hearing other stories I guess our men need some chivalry. Mine especially. I actually got a card and flowers this year though.

Anonymous said...

How nice that you had a Mother's Day feast! I should plan for that next year. Your salad really looks amazing - I love the simplicity of ingredients. Best of luck with your show. I know you're gonna knock them out in NYC!

xoxox Amy

Proud Italian Cook said...

What a feast!! Everything looks so good! Have a wonderful trip! Funny I'm leaving for sunny California on saturday.

Nicole said...

Amy- Thank you again!

Proud Italian- Thanks. That is funny... We will practically be passing each other. Are you coming for vacation? Be prepared for some heat Saturday and Sunday! It is so hot these last few days.

Betty Carlson said...

My sister and I are planning our parents' 50 year wedding anniversay for July 12th. We are in a tizzy about how to organize things; this post gave me a few ideas about mixing and matching ready-made and homemade food. It all looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

i'll take 10 pounds of the layered dip! by bro just asked me to make some of this for him...
good stuff here!