Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I wish all mother's a happy Mother's Day today. May you feel the love and appreciation you deserve.

We went to my sister's time share in San Clemente today for mother's day. I didn't think the sun would come out with all the pre-June-gloom we've been having but it did manage to be a really nice day. The kids frolicked by the water and had to change clothes on more than one occasion. Each sister brought some food for our potluck lunch. In addition to making a salad (as was my "job" today... we always change it up), I felt like trying out the cupcake idea that Robin Sue had on her blog, Big Red Kitchen. She suggested putting cookie dough into the cupcake before you bake it. Hers came out so darling and delicious looking! I have been wanting to try it since I read her post.

I am NOT a baker. I mean I can bake. And it usually turns out fine if not pretty good. But it rarely looks really beautiful or is to-die-for in taste. I am much better at the savory stuff. I just don't have the patience or something with the baked goods. The other issue I had today was that I was trying to frost the cake with 2 little ones trying to "help" and little time left and a shower and packing up (anywhere you go with 2 small kids you need to "pack" as if for a vacation) so I rushed with the frosting.

I had asked Robin if the cookie dough was doughy or cooked through and she said cooked through. I really like cookie DOUGH sometimes so at Robin's suggestion, I cooked the cupcakes for a few minutes (about 1/3 of the way) before taking them out and plopping in the dough. The problem with this is that the cake batter had begun to rise and I then deflated it. Also, I may have over-filled the cups as the batter oozed out around the whole pan. The cupcakes never did rise again to their full height. But the cookie interior WAS just slighty under-done and chewy. Thanks for all the tips Robin! I just wish mine was as pretty as yours!

As you can see, I made a red velvet cake (just from a box... lazy... and I kind of like box cake sometimes) with cream cheese frosting (from scratch) and the cookie you ask?????? Ohhhhhhh THAT is a secret! I could NEVER tell!

Okay... I am bad at secrets and there is no real point in keeping it. The cookie dough I decided to use (partly for color and partly due to the ingredients) is a sour dough cookie. It is made with sour cream. Not commercial sour cream. No "Dollop of Daisy" but cream that has gone bad/sour. DO NOT throw away old cream! I keep it for months. It smells putrid and disgusting and sometimes thickens and clots. It is really really gross BUT makes for the best damn cookies ever! The recipe is from my great grandmother and hails from her homeland in Norway. I will share it with you in a later post. My whole family dies for them. It is the best mother's day gift I can give to my grandmother.

The red velvet cake and sour cream cookies made pretty companions and tasted quite good too. I wish they were prettier but then again I never professed to be a baker. No "Daring Baker" here! Maybe one day.... We'll see....

Once again happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers and happy beginning of the week to all the rest of you.

13 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm not a baker either, which is weird because that is what my mom did best. So I know how to bake, but I agree with what you said, it must be a patience thing... or maybe a measuring thing (less perfection needed)? Anyway, I feel more at home cooking and almost always a lot more pleased with the end product.

Sherry said...

Oh, I meant to wish you Happy Mother's Day, too!

That Girl said...

That sour cream trick is the coolest trick I've heard in a LONG time.

Emily said...

Don't be crazy your cupcakes look goegous. I always like thing that look just a bit off because it makes them look homemade which in my books means it was made with love. I can't wate to read the recipe for sour cream cookies. They sound so unusual. I will be sure to try them. I hope everything is going alright with your preperation for NY. Happy Mother's Day!

Robin said...

Yippee! I'm so glad you tried these out. They look fantastic, I will try the partial cook and plop method next time too for a gooey cookie. Happy Mother's Day.

AMI said...

Wow I need that recipe! Sour cream cookies - sounds Yum! I make a sour cream chocolate cake that is really nice ie being alone with it = going up a dress size!

AMI said...

oh and happy mothers day! its already been and gone months ago here! Hope you have a nice day!

Nicole said...

Sherry- Yes, I am not big on measuring either. Savory seems to leave more room for creativity.

Kate- Thanks! It is sort of gross in a way. Depending on the person, I make them taste the cookie before saying what is inside of it.

Emily- Thank you! NY is coming along. It is getting so close now. Still several thing to do but getting there.

Robin- Thanks! Let me know how yours come out that way!

Lisa- I will get you the recipe soon. Happy belated mother's day to you then too! When is yours?

Jaime said...

As you know, I'm no baker either. Your cupcakes look really good and I like the idea of cookie dough in the middle. I would want mine soft in the middle too though. I am looking forward to the sour cream cookies!

RecipeGirl said...

I do love to bake and you didn't do a bad job at all. I've never seen a box of red velvet cake mix though. Where did you find it? I like the idea of those sour cream cookies. Can't wait to see your post on that one!

Gloria Baker said...

Nicole, thanks to passing by at my Blog.You are welcome when you like!
I think your cupcakes are really yummy! and lovely!! xxGloria

Nicole said...

Jaime- I like to under cook most of my cookies and cakes just a little so they are more moist or gooey.

Lori- I didn't know if I would find the red velvet cake in a box myself as I had never made it before but there it was at Ralphs! Maybe because it is really popular these days??

Gloria- Thank you and welcome to my blog. I have marked yours and will return soon.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Those are sinful! :D