Thursday, May 8, 2008

Protein Style

You must be hungry! I haven't given you any food since Sunday.

While I adore fancy gourmet food, I also LOVE a good burger. I will often get a double-double at In-N-Out or if I am watching the carbs, I get the double-double protein style. It is still a GREAT burger. I like everything on it.

At home I often do burger without the bun as well. I do different things with it but this one is fairly typical for me. After cooking the patty (with a little Emmenthaler melted on top) , I place it on a bed of fresh baby spinach leaves and top with caramelized onions or leeks and some baby orange heirloom tomatoes. It really satisfies. The only thing this particular meal was missing is a great glass of red. But with so much to do, I cannot afford an extra second of sleepiness the next few weeks. Nor the calories.

Try it with sautéed mushrooms too! Fabulous!

12 comments:

Jared said...

That burger looks delicious. They really are great without the bun and piled high with veggies and other good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yumm! This looks really good. I can see how you wouldn't even miss the bun with all those yummy veggies.

xoxox Amy

AMI said...

Yum!

RecipeGirl said...

Caramelized leeks sound yummy :)

Jaime said...

I eat my burger without a bun most of the time. But it is just because I'm not that big of a bread fan. I know...I'm weird. LOL!

That Girl said...

I like burgers, but I'm not a huge fan of buns. Okay - now I really want a burger.

Nicole said...

Jared- I agree!

Amy- The caramelized onions TOTALLY make up for the bun.

Lisa- Thanks.

Lori- Isn't everything amazing when caramelized?

Jaime- You DO have some funny tendencies. I have never known ANYONE who didn't like bread.

Kate- I don't like the boring traditional buns but really good ciabatta rolls or french rolls or something like that, I LOVE. Total bread snob here!

Susan @ SGCC said...

That burger is to die for! All drippy and juicy! Sometimes you just gotta have one.

annechovie said...

Looks delicious, Nicole! Thanks for stopping by my blog and all the best to you at the NSS in NYC!

Anonymous said...

Spinach and carmelized onions - great way to add good flavor and nutrition at the same time, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms always work on burgers!

Nicole said...

Sticky- Thanks! Yes. Sometimes you just HAVE to!

Anne- Welcome to my blog. I am glad you came by. Thanks for the well wishes and come back often.

Jacki- Welcome and thanks.

Bren- Definitely! And congratulations again on your gig with Emeril! Sounds so fun!!!!