Friday, March 28, 2008

Stale Bread or Not

Still have some stale bread left over? Or are you in need of a really quick appetizer?

Like many a foodie, I have been cutting out recipes from my favorite magazines for years. Unfortunately I am NOT so good at keeping them organized. But the tried and true rest on top of the dilapidated old Bloomies box that I originally tucked them into for safekeeping. I REALLY need to organize! But I guess I would rather cook, blog, read, eat, sleep....

I digress. Here is an appetizer that is quick, easy and pretty tasty too. I have all the ingredients in my kitchen at any given time too. So that is what really makes it easy.

Olive-Onion Puffs (Bon Appétit | August 1997)

These flavorful toasts are easy enough to make for last-minute guests.
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Makes about 25

1 cup chopped pitted black olives, drained (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 sourdough baguette, cut crosswise on slight diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices

Preheat broiler. Stir olives, cheese mayonnaise and onions in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Mound 1 tablespoon olive mixture on each bread slice. Arrange on baking sheet. Broil until topping is heated through and begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.


2 comments:

AMI said...

Hi nicole! I l-o-v-e the new header! and your last three blogs are inspiring! maybe a few of us should get a recipe club once a month - one posts a recipe and we cook it! i am definately cooking those onion puffs so i'll post about them when i do, crediting your blog of course!

Nicole said...

I am so glad you like the header Lisa. Thanks! A recipe club once a month would be fun! I am up for it. We could put some little think in our side bar about it and do a post as well when we start. Let me know how you like the onion puffs.