Monday, September 15, 2008

The Gift

Sometimes you are given a special gift. One that, in just looking at the box, is almost pleasure enough. Just holding it, wondering or maybe even having a pretty good inkling of what's inside, is half of the joy. Picture a little familiar looking blue box with a white bow. It in itself would make a handsome decoration on your dressing table. You know the one. While I have only had a couple in my life, the signature light blue is enough to delight. The color has a feeling of beauty and promise.

And so it was when I beheld the beautiful "gift" that Marie, the Proud Italian Cook, showcased a little while back. Ever since I saw it, I knew I had to have one too. I looked at a couple markets to no avail. And then the day came. I was near Whole Foods. Marie got hers there. I did too.

While the "gift" I found was not in the same fancy outer wrapper that Marie acquired, when I set it gently on the plate, I knew I had only seen the surface. Inside was the true gift. As with the little blue boxes I have received, I simply looked at my pristine, white, handformed looking ball for a while. Next to the tomatoes and basil it sat so daintily. The colors calling out Italy and late afternoon sunshine in a Tuscan garden. I added olives, organic ciabbata bread and a dish with olive oil and balsamic. It was beautiful!

My very own little ball of Buratta cheese! I was almost afraid to open it up. It was just so perfect. But alas, I had to see what was inside. The soft outer shell of fresh mozzarella cheese broke slowly apart to reveal the creamy marscapone which began to ooze out from the center. I took a little wedge and smeared it endearingly onto my bread. The first bite had to be free of other flavors. Into my mouth it went and seemed to just melt down my throat. I took a sip of wine then gingerly spread a little more on the bread. This time adding the tomato and basil. Another taste. Sheer heaven! This is NO ordinary cheese. It is precious and beautiful and mild yet stands out of the crowd. It IS a special treat.

Now Marie, I do not know whether to thank you for your post and the introduction to the Burrata, or berate you for getting me to fall in love with yet another costly and somewhat fattening delicacy! But in all seriousness, I am soooo grateful. For me, THIS is a perfect meal. A perfect little gift!

Speaking of gifts.... I am bringing a ton of this Burrata cheese over to Susan for her virtual SGCC 1 year Blogiversary Bash! It is not a difficult recipe but but a gift of my new favorite cheese along with tomatoes and basil from my garden. Congratulations Susan! Thanks for the invite. It's going to be a great party!

17 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Nicole, You are the cutest!! Here I am just reading along thinking you got a gift from Tiffany, and as I scrolled down and read more, your talking about Burrata! How funny, but oh so true! Looking at your perfect pairing makes me crave it right now! I'm so glad you loved it! It's worth every penny!! You can be sure I will be first in line to share this with you over at Susan's big bash!!
You made my day!
Hugs, Marie

That Girl said...

OMG this is too too too ironic. On Saturday morning I ran out to my local cheese store to pick up freshly delivered burrata. I am truly madly deeply in love. I serve it on a sandwich with some organic heirloom tomatoes, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. It's the best thing I've ever eaten! I'm going to start buying it weekly. I'm sad it's expensive by you because it's cheap cheap cheap by me!

Darius T. Williams said...

Hmmm - I'm gonnna have to pick up some of that cheese...you know, I love cheese - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Laura in Paris said...

I love the way you talk about your food emotions!

Nicole said...

Marie- It makes my day that I could make your day! Can't wait to see you over at the party! I will be slurping down your cocktail I am sure!

Kate- Please tell me the name of your store! Next time I am in SD area maybe I can swing by! Everywhere I look online etc... it looks so pricey.

Darius- Just nothing wrong with good cheese, is there!

Laura- Thanks. Food is an emotional subject!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

This looks lovely! And I know I say it every time, but you are a gifted food photog!

Anonymous said...

don't even get me started on burrata! just check out my comment on Proud Italian Cook's post from a few months ago. I can almost taste it's fabulous creamy insides dribbling down my face (ok, that sounded kind of gross).

regardless, i'm very happy burrata is finally becoming available in the US. it's about time!

Robin said...

What Mozzarella stuffed with marscapone, Where have I been? This is heavenly. Going to Whole Foods just to get me one today!! Thanks for sharing your new favorite cheese.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Ooooh! I can't wait to dig in to this! Your description has me swooning! Thanks so much for bringing it to the Bash!

Nicole said...

Mamageek- Coming from such an amazing photographer as yourself, that is the highest of compliments!

We are never full- Isn't it just to die for??? I hope I can find it somewhere again soon... maybe at a lower price???

Robin Sue- Run run run! Go get it. You will love it!!! And let me know how you like it.

Susan- Isn't it yummy. Your whole bash has me swooning. I just wish it weren't virtual so I can slowly graze around and eat everything TODAY!

Unknown said...

Oh, for heavens sake, I am salivating right now...and I just had dinner! I've never had burrata...and it is now my life's mission to search for it.

Nicole said...

Laura- You HAVE to go get some. I am sure you won't have any trouble in NY. It is soooo good. You will love it. Tell me what you think.

Lori Lynn said...

I LOVE Burrata. Your platter does it justice. Very nice.
Our favorite paring was with caviar, which I learned about last November from Piero Selvaggio.

Nicole said...

Lori- I will have to try it with caviar! That sounds delicious. I haven't ever been to any of Selvaggio's restaurants.

Anonymous said...

so wonderful to see that burrata is finally making it over here in america. it was only one short year ago that i was on the major search for it to buy and couldn't find it anywhere except one place that makes it in LA (or is it san francisco?). anyways, glad you got to experience the magic!

Anonymous said...

i'm an idoit - see how much i love burrata!? i wrote you a comment twice about it!!

Nicole said...

We are never full- You are cracking me up!!! I am currently obsessed as well! :-)