Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallows Eve

Last weekend we celebrated my youngest sister's 30th birthday. All of us sisters like to help in the food department and brought a dish. I made Robin Sue's Jalapeno Popper Dip. The only change I made was to add 2 finely diced fresh jalapenos to kick it up a notch. It tasted great and is perfect party fair for a good size group. Next time I will add even more jalapenos though. Maybe an extra can of jalapenos and 3 or 4 fresh ones. Most of my family and friends are happy to have it HOT!

Oh and I served it with the very fresh corn chips available at a nearby market.

Oh... did I tell you the theme? Well it is close to a certain time of year....

Costumes were in order! Famous duos was the theme.

My husband vetoed just about every suggestion. But agreed to be Dopey??? Huh???? Chalk that one up to a huge crush on Snow White! I guess he was willing to sacrifice all dignity to have a date with a "real" princess.

The biggest problem was that there is not a Dopey costume to be found ANYWHERE!!! Especially last minute as no decisions were made until two days before. In fact, you cannot find a dwarf costume of any kind.

Luckily??? I say that with hesitation. I found a green table cloth at a thrift store. Mind you, I DON'T know how to sew and haven't a machine!!! That afternoon I created the above. The hat was a baby blanket from Target sewed over a ski hat!! The buttons are the lids to Pringles cans. The boots are just felt wrapped and tied at the ankles. The belt buckle is cardboard with yellow tape and the belt strap is fabric. Whew!!! Looks kinda crazy and sloppy but I got a lot of Kudos for originality! And he for huevos!





Happy Halloween Everyone!
Have fun and be safe!
Don't eat too too much candy.

17 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

You make a gorgeous Snow White! I'm glad to hear that Jalapeno dip was a winner as I had seen it on her site a few days ago and saved it to make for a future holiday gathering. It looks yummy!

Robin said...

I have to say you look just like Snow White! Great costume party. I am going to use your tip and add some fresh jalapenos to the dip too. Great taste but we like it a little more hot too! Have a fun weekend!

Emily said...

haha I love the famous couples idea! I'm going to a halloween party tonight where you are not allowed in the door if you are not dressed in costume. A few of my friends and myself are going as the Pink Ladies. Happy All Hallows Eve!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Snow White! :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Nicole, You're so photogenic you could work at Disney!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Awww - I'm loving the costumes. All of you guys look great!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Laura in Paris said...

How fun! Hope you all had a happy Halloween!

Nicole said...

Joie de Vivre- It was a good dip. You should try it.

Robin Sue- Thanks. We love spicy as well.

Emily- Hope you and all the pink ladies had fun! Cute group idea.

Maryann- Thank you. My daughter wanted to dance with me.

Kate- Thank you! It was fun.

Marie- Thanks. I DID work at Disneyland. 2 summers during my college years. But I worked on Space Mountain and Star Tours.

Darius- Thanks. Dressing up is the best.

Laura- Happy Halloween to you too. Although do you celebrate it much over there?

Anonymous said...

haha! Congratulations on the costumes! .. You did a heck of a good job! Looks like a fun party to me, Jalapeno dip and all.

Lori Lynn said...

What FUN! You make a pretty princess Nicole...
And you are very creative to boot, I can't believe you don't sew. Dopey is great! Huevos for sure, I'm wondering what costumes he rejected?? haha

Peter M said...

Nicole, if you're other gig doesn't pan out, I see a future for you at Disney...damn good Snow White!

RecipeGirl said...

So cute! I really want to try that dip too :)

Sherry said...

I made a Dopey costume for me son (then age 6, I think, to wear one year. I should dig out a picture.) Fun costumes!

Nicole said...

Zen- It was a fun party! Plenty of good food. But I think Halloween night was even better.

Lori Lynn- Thank you! Creativity is my business. I think the only reason he agreed to this one is his crush (or rather desire) for Snow White.

Peter- Thanks! Every time I tell people I worked at Disneyland for a short time, they think I was Snow White. (I was just a ride operator). So finally I dressed as her.

Lori- You should make the dip. It is a snap!

Sherry- I would love to see a picture!

Anonymous said...

I made the popper dip as well this weekend and followed your suggestions about adding the extra fresh jalepeno. Everyone loved it. I cut it in half and it was plenty for a small family gathering. I'm making it again for game night at church this weekend. Loved the pictures. Y'all are so cute. Jancd

Nicole said...

Jancd- Welcome! I am so glad you tried the popper dip and liked it. Come back again soon!

Anonymous said...

hi, my boyfriend and i are so desperate to find a dopey costume. We have tried EVERYWHERE and no luck. You guys are so lucky, halloween has always been our day and it really would be devastating if we didnt find anything. I even cut my hair and dyed it black, if you can remember where he got it or any sites, we would appreciate it soo much please help, my e-mail is;
hisbeautiful4eva@yahoo.com
thank you so much.