Thursday, January 22, 2009

And the WINNER is...

Don't you just love this gorgeous hand painted bowl and serving pieces? I got it as a wedding gift and am afraid to use it for food because it could ruin it. Also... I think it was purchased at an art gallery so I am not sure how safe it would be. I have served fresh bread in it from time to time but that is it. Usually it sits in the kitchen looking pretty. A piece of art as it truly is.

What????

Oh.... You don't care about the bowl? You want me to announce the winner? Okay okay. I will. But first a big THANK YOU to all who commented and continue to visit my site.

It looks as if I will be serving up some personalized wine and cupcake stationery to.....

Congratulations Carla! I am so happy to get your cards out to you. I will be contacting you with the email you provided in order to get your address and find out what you would like me to print on the cards. If you don't receive an email or if you want to contact me, you can do so at missnnick@gmail.com.

I wish I could personalize cards for everyone. But as a sort of consolation prize I am offering up the below recipe to all the participants and all who frequent my blog.

I have been meaning to share this recipe with you since Christmas. Aside from the fact that I haven't had time, I didn't get any great photos. I made them on Christmas Eve and there was just so much to do. The photo above is a shot of the process. I never did get a shot of the finished cookie. Not only have I wanted to share the cookies with you because they are so good but my recipe is on the saddest piece of crumpled, faded, old and jam stained paper you can imagine. It feels slightly like fine fine sand paper from the traces of flour left on it. Having typed out nicely will be a treat for me.

These Jam Crescents are my mother's all time favorite cookie. I make them nearly every year but for some reason usually only at Christmas. I don't know why. They are so good and with a cup of coffee in the morning... Well that is the perfect breakfast! Okay so it's not the most nutritious breakfast but it is damn tasty and just the amount I want in the morning. It is like a little baby pie.

Here is my recipe for JAM CRESCENTS:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
8 ounces of cream cheese (cold) (this is what makes it sooooooo good)
1 cup of butter (2 sticks of cold butter)
2 Tbls. sour cream

Jam or Preserves of your choice (I prefer preserves)

In a large bow mix the flour, sugar and salt until blended. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives cut the cream cheese and butter into the dry ingredients as you would for pie crust. Do this until the consitency is something like cornmeal. Stir in the sour cream until the dough comes together and you can make a ball. (I tend to use my hands toward the end to get it nice and moist. Do not overwork it though.) When you have a ball of dough, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Preheat your oven to 325°.

Divide the dough into quarters keeping the unused portions in the refrigerator and covered in plastic. Roll out the dough and using a 3" round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out circles of dough. Place 1 teaspoon of preserves or jam in the center of each circle. (Be sure not to put too much as it will seep out when baking... I am classic at this mistake). Moisten the edge of the dough by dipping your finger in a small bowl of water. Fold one edge over to create the crescent shape and seal it by pressing down the edges with a fork. Prick the top with the fork.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Popular preserve flavors for these cookies in my family are apricot and boysenberry or raspberry. I prefer the latter two. Also note that I tried jelly one time and I don't know what it was but it seemed to melt or dissolve. and REALLY seep all over the place. Somehow the jam or preserves are thicker and hold up better to heat.

6 comments:

That Girl said...

What cute little crescents!

Joie de vivre said...

Congrats Carla! Mmmm....more like a little pie rather than a cookie.

Lori Lynn said...

Oh NIcole, what a darling way to announce your winner!
LL

Sherry said...

I can't eat these right now, but I wanted to share the love - they look so yummy. So I passed this on to my mom who is always looking for yummy new treats to make. Your gifts keep on giving. Thank you, S

Nicole said...

Thank you again for all that participated and commented! You are all wonderful.

Robin said...

I am seeing these little pies everywhere and need to find and old recipe I used to make of these using cheese. Will hunt! My kids would love something like this in their lunch boxes. I must try your recipe- the cream cheese dough sounds great!