Thursday, April 3, 2008

POP Corn!


Have you ever worked in a traditional office? How about a large company? I have worked in PLENTY! As a graphic artist, I did freelance in big offices, small offices, from home... you name it. I was also full time here and there over the years at a couple different places.

One thing that is a given at any large office at LEAST once a day (usually early afternoon) is the smell of popcorn! That lovely microwave kind that burns half the time because someone didn't read the directions or forgot about it. This smell permeates the office and either makes you hungry or sickens you depending on how often you are stuck smelling it. And no matter how large the office, you can smell the lingering odors in every corner for hours. Smaller offices (under 10 people) can sometimes have a little character or feel a bit homey especially in the art field and aren't subject to this ritual as often as the large ones.

So if you DO work in a big office... If you do encounter this afternoon ritual... If you find you are nodding your head as you read... HOW can you buy that same faux butter tasting popcorn for your home movie nights? It is not that hard!

The funny thing is I have been cooking for years and years... long before I met my husband. But I was buying that presto pop crap (I mean corn)! That is until I started dating my husband. He didn't have a microwave. And when he suggested popcorn one evening I said, "How are we going to make it?" He gave me the oddest look and pulled out a large pan and some kernels and oil. Oh yeah.... I had forgotten! So I started doing it the good old fashioned way like when I was a kid. And let me tell you, it is a WORLD of difference! So much better!

And so easy! Just add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of kernels. Wait for a moment or two and cover with a lid.

Give it a little shake now and then and listen to the sound of real popcorn popping! It is a fun sound. Melt some REAL butter. You can use a microwave for this if you want. Why not. THAT doesn't alter the taste. Sprinkle on a dash of salt and VOILA!

Popcorn!!!! The really really good kind with just the right amount of crunch, butter and salt. If you haven't had it in a while, you WILL taste the difference. And smell the difference too!

Want to kick it up a notch? Add a few dashes of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce to the melted butter. Or even a put in a little squeeze of lime. Go easy. A little goes a long way here. And too much may make your popcorn soggy.

Don't bring the office home with you! Let me know how your movie night is with the real stuff.

POP CORN!!!!

9 comments:

Visit ToDay said...

Gonna try it
Thx 4 sharing ^^

Regards,

Visit ToDay

Sherry said...

Another yummy idea is making with coconut oil. My family loves it.

Nicole said...

That sounds great Sherry. I haven't used coconut oil. Does it have a coconut flavor?

Jared said...

Funny, I wouldn't have thought about making popcorn that way either. Sounds great. I made some microwave stuff at the office and never heard the end of it. I still have a full box sitting in my drawer that will never get made. Will have to give this a try.

I like the idea of adding some different spices to give some different flavors. Garlic powder or paprika come to mind...

RecipeGirl said...

It's funny cause we used to make it in the pan all the time when we were little and I just haven't done that in YEARS!! My kid would probably go nuts to see it popping in the pan. I have some blue popcorn that would be fun to pop. Thanks for the reminder that we can do this!! :)

Lauren said...

Mmm, popcorn. My boyfriend hates it when I make the popcorn because I always burn it on purpose, I just think it tastes better a little charred, cajun popcorn!

orange you lucky! said...

I shouldn't be browsing through your blog while I'm hungry! Mmmmm....now I really want popcorn!

Nicole said...

Jared- I think garlic powder and paprika would be great. Just add a little at a time and see how it goes.

Lori- So glad you stopped by! MAKE that blue pop corn! It sounds so fun! And so Dr. Suess! Turn it into a theme party.

Lulu- Why don't you try to dump a little popcorn out for your boyfriend and then burn the rest for you? :) Or just make 2 batches. The hardest part is the clean up anyway.

Thanks for stopping by Helen. Sorry to make you hungry. I get hungry writing sometimes too.

Lauren said...

Hmm, I guess I could be nice and make seperate pop corn for him. As it is though this is one of the only ways I can keep him from eating all of my popcorn (he's even worse when we try to share ice cream!)I could also just tell him that it's healthy or made with tofu because then he would definitely avoid it!